The site consists of a series of kilns, stacks, ancillary buildings and an associated quarry, posing a number of key challenges: large complex structures not obviously suited to adaptive reuse, and associated infrastructure in an extensive landscape. To meet the desire to find creative and viable new uses for the various components, aspects such as activation, site access potential and interpretation have been explored.
Canberra Brickworks is of considerable technical interest, as well representing a nearly intact example of a large-scale urban early-20th century brickworks — an increasingly rare survivor. Of major significance are the Staffordshire kiln (c.1914-15), a Hardy patent kiln (c.1926), a second Hardy patent kiln (c.1953), three downdraft kilns (c.1960-3) and each kiln’s associated chimney stack. Other significant elements include fan houses, machine bays, crusher houses, the original power house and an elevator conveyor. Brickmaking ceased on the site in 1976.
Building on a study completed in 1986 by Lester Firth & Associates, the CMP updated and expanded the history and physical description of the site, providing detailed information based on site surveys.
Share this page