The hostels occupied 11.7 hectares in Maidstone, on part of the war-time New Pyrotechnics Section site of the Maribynong munitions complex. They began life as Maribynong Migrant Hostel (1949) — transformed in the 1960s and renamed Midway. The adjacent Phillip Centre was designed by Montgomery King & Associates and completed in 1971.
The administration of the two establishments was integrated, and together they are one of a group of 15 hostels transformed or new-built in this period, reflecting a significant shift in government policy on the management of migrant services. The new approach included the on-site provision of healthcare and childcare services, language teaching and recreation facilities.
Our research found that about 180 sites around the country accommodated post-war migrants. However, relatively little survives of the infrastructure that supported this major population influx. The Midway Hostel is the most complete extant example of a purpose built hostel of the late 1960s. Its survival is due to its benign use as university student accommodation after 1989.
The CMP content relating to the assessment and management of the landscape was prepared by John Patrick Pty Ltd, landscape architects.
Share this page