Kate is highly experienced in the assessment of heritage places and sites, such as buildings, diverse structures, landscapes and industrial complexes — at local, state and national levels. She is also experienced in the management of such places, the assessment of adaptation and development proposals, and the consideration of options to mitigate impacts where relevant. She provides high level strategic advice on heritage issues as well as addressing detailed design matters.
Working as part of cross-disciplinary project teams, Kate has provided specialist advice for a number of large-scale infrastructure projects. For these she worked with technical and engineering advisers, and collaborated with a range of planning and environmental assessment specialists. She has also managed major strategic heritage projects for clients with diverse properties and assets, including the Port of Melbourne Corporation, the University of Melbourne and Airservices Australia.
Kate has a high level understanding of the requirements of statutory frameworks relevant to heritage work and very good relationships with the key regulatory authorities. She has extensive experience in the development and delivery of approvals strategies. She is also an effective communicator and has provided expert evidence before planning panels and the Heritage Council of Victoria.
Kate has undertaken a wide variety of work. Recent examples include …
• Port of Melbourne Heritage Plan
• Russell Street (former) Gasworks, Bathurst, NSW — conservation management plan
• CSIRO Highett Laboratories, Melbourne — heritage assessment and strategic advice
• Point Lonsdale Lighthouse, Port Melbourne Leading Lights and West Channel Pile Lights — conservation management plan reviews for Port of Melbourne Corporation
• Polehouse, Fairhaven, Victoria — Heritage Council registrations hearing
• Mayday Hills, Beechworth, Victoria — conservation management plan review
• Port Phillip Planning Scheme Heritage Overlay 1 and panel
• Former Maribyrnong Explosives Factory — site inventory, strategic heritage advice, master planning
• Echuca Wharf, Victoria — conservation management plan
• Shrine of Remembrance, Melbourne — conservation management plans
• State Library of Victoria — conservation management plans
• Flinders Street Station, Melbourne — conservation management plans