Kate’s expertise includes the assessment of heritage places of significance at local, state and national levels — including individual buildings and structures, landscapes, industrial complexes and groups of places linked by ownership or use. Further work has included historical research, and the preparation of heritage appraisals, conservation and heritage management plans, municipal heritage reviews, and area or typological studies.
She is highly experienced in the management of heritage sites and places, in the assessment of development and adaptation proposals, and in the consideration of options to mitigate possible impacts or risks. She provides high-level strategic heritage advice as well as addressing issues relating to detailed design.
Kate has an in-depth understanding of the requirements of statutory frameworks relevant to heritage projects and good working relationships with key regulatory authorities. She is an effective communicator and has provided expert evidence before planning panels, VCAT and the Heritage Council of Victoria. She joined Lovell Chen in 1989.
Kate’s recent projects include …
• Port of Melbourne Heritage Strategy
• Metro Tunnel, Melbourne — technical specialist for EES, ongoing heritage advice
• Trades Hall, Victoria Street, Melbourne — conservation management plan (CMP)
• Kinnears Rope Works, Footscray, Victoria — CMP, development advice and approvals
• Wesley Church and Central Mission, Melbourne — CMP, development advice and approvals
• Polehouse, Banool Road, Fairhaven, Victoria — HVC registrations hearing
• Gough Whitlam House, Kew, Melbourne — HVC registrations hearing, expert evidence
• Melbourne Cricket Ground, Yarra Park, Melbourne — CMP
• Mayday Hills, Beechworth, Victoria — CMP
• Melford Motors, Elizabeth Street, Melbourne — VHC registrations hearing, development advice and approvals
• White Hills & East Bendigo Heritage Study
• Damascus College (Ballarat Orphanage), Ballarat, Victoria — CMP, HVC registrations hearing, expert evidence
• Canberra Brickworks, Yarralumla, ACT — CMP
• Former Maribynong Explosives Factory, Victoria — strategic heritage advice, master planning, site inventory
• Shrine of Remembrance, Melbourne — CMP, heritage advice and approvals
• Port of Melbourne Corporation — CMPs for Point Lonsdale Lighthouse, West Channel Pile Light, Port Melbourne Leading Lights