In addition to his wide-ranging experience in conservation, Dan has particular expertise in the adaptation of heritage structures for sustainability. He has worked on a series of projects that include energy efficiency measures, such as the installation of photovoltaic panels on high-profile heritage buildings, rainwater harvesting systems and specialised lighting schemes.
His expertise has led to a number of invitations to talk about the conservation and restoration work he does. He has delivered papers at conferences organised by Australia ICOMOS, including a paper on the State Library of Victoria dome and facade conservation works delivered in Adelaide in 2015. He spoke about the restoration of the Myer Mural Hall at a Design Institute of Australia annual dinner, and in 2013, was a guest lecturer at the Melbourne School of Design, the University of Melbourne.
In 2012, Dan was selected to attend the Diadrasis martos Workshop, a six-week course on the conservation of a 16th century stone monument in Spain, run in association with ICRROM, University of York, University of Jean, the City of Martos, the Department of Culture, ADSUR, IAPH and IPCE.
Dan’s recent projects include …..
• State Library of Victoria — dome and facade works
• The University of Melbourne — various projects, ongoing
• Werribee Park Mansion — various projects, ongoing
• Wesley Church, Lonsdale Street, Melbourne
• Shrine of Remembrance, Melbourne — energy-efficient lighting for the ambulatories
• Rippon Lea, Elsternwick, Victoria — various projects including roof reinstatement
• Yorkshire Brewery brew tower, Collingwood, Victoria
• Melbourne Town Hall — including exterior conservation works
• Palais Theatre, St Kilda, Victoria — exterior conservation works
• Melbourne GPO — exterior conservation works
• Princes Bridge, River Yarra, Melbourne — stonework conservation
• Government House, Melbourne — conservation and refurbishment works
• North Melbourne, Collingwood and Fitzroy town halls, Victoria
• RMIT University Building 4
• Scots Church precinct, Collins Street, Melbourne
• St Mary’s Anglican Church, North Melbourne — conservation works