MARKING A CHANGING PORT —
MELBOURNE'S MARITIME INFRASTRUCTURE
Port of Melbourne, Victoria
The Port of Melbourne is Australia's largest container and general cargo port, handling almost 40% of the nation's international container trade. Its precinct contains significant heritage sites and structures — many of which are operational — including historic piers, wharves and navigational aids, and links with surrounding communities and industries. The new Heritage Trail developed for the Port of Melbourne Corporation by Lovell Chen in association with Büro North provides an insight into the history and current operation of the port.
The trail is a major interpretation initiative. It makes use of the existing bike path network, marked in twelve key locations around the port with interpretive markers relating the stories of individual places and drawing out themes relating to the port as a whole and its context. The trail runs from Point Gellibrand at Williamstown, through Footscray and West Melbourne, along the south bank of the River Yarra to Station Pier in Port Melbourne. On the map at left, the area of the Port of Melbourne is outlined in red.
Lead collaborators Büro North designed the robust markers, using salvaged timbers supported on faceted concrete bases. The visual and written information researched and supplied by our historians is presented on vitreous enamelled panels.
We are currently reviewing the heritage strategy we prepared in 2009 (with ERM Australia) for the Port of Melbourne Corporation (PoMC), which is responsible for the strategic management and development of the port. Other projects undertaken by Lovell Chen for PoMC include upgrade works at Station Pier and conservation management plans for Point Lonsdale Lighthouse, West Channel Pile Light and the Port Melbourne Leading Lights.
[ photos: Lovell Chen / Büro North ]
A DECORATIVE EASTER AT ST MARY'S
St Mary's Anglican Church, North Melbourne, Victoria
The restoration and reinstatement of decorative paintwork finishes to the interior of St Mary's Anglican Church in North Melbourne was completed in time for this year's Easter celebrations.
At the request of the vicar, the history of the church's decorative scheme on the east wall of the chancel has been pieced together using photographic evidence, newspaper reports and an applied finishes investigation, conducted in association with Nicola Stairmand. An early photo shows extensive decoration, including stencilling and sign writing. These had been painted over in the 1970s.
Scraping back of the wall revealed parts of the painted dado, including lettering outlined in gold. No trace of the Magnificat banner over the window was found and it is thought that this section had been painted on canvas and attached to the wall. The banner has been repainted on canvas and installed as before. Some evidence of the original colours was obtained from paint samples but interpretation has also been necessary for the resinstatement of the colour scheme.
St Mary's was designed in the Gothic Revival style by Lloyd Taylor, and constructed in bluestone with freestone mullions and window tracery. It was officially opened in 1860. The decorative paint work is understood to date from circa 1889.
[ first photo: St Mary's Anglican Church ]
[ other photos: Lovell Chen ]
RIPPON LEA ROOF REINSTATEMENT
Hotham Street, Elsternwick, Victoria
Using an enlargement of a 1901 photo held by the University of Melbourne and a section of tiling preserved under later copper cladding, Lovell Chen's conservation team has documented the original diaper pattern roof at Rippon Lea. The patern was achieved using two shapes of terracotta shingle. Work starts in mid April to reinstate the shingles to the polychrome brick mansion.
The construction of Rippon Lea commenced in 1868 for politician and merchant Frederick Sargood, to the design of Reed & Barnes, and the house was later much extended. In the mid 1960s, the roofing was removed and replaced with glazed Marseilles tiles, which now in turn need replacement. Terracotta shingles are being supplied from the UK and the ridge cappings manufactured by Gargoyles & Dragons of Reservoir, based on surviving examples.
We are also installing a 4.5kW bank of integrated solar panels to an inner slope of the roof, and restoring to working order the rainwater collection system that supplies the lake, which is used for irrigation of the gardens.
Our client, the National Trust of Australia (Victoria), has begun a Roof Restoration Appeal. For every $10 you donate, a tile will be signed with your name and dated. More information ... www.ripponleaestate.com.au >
[ top photo: Rippon Lea in 1963,
National Library of Australia ]
[ other photos: 1901, The University of Melbourne ]
[ middle photo was enlarged for the roof tile pattern reconstruction ]
ASSESSMENT OF SIGNIFICANCE
Braddon, Canberra, ACT
This year is Canberra's centenary, prompting exhibitions and events connected with its planning history and discussion of its future development. Lovell Chen has worked on projects in the city for more than 20 years. One of our most recent projects — an assessment of significance of Northbourne Oval in Braddon — provides an interesting illustration of Canberra's particular developmental trajectory.
The oval occupies an asymmetrical 4.25ha site just north of Civic. It has a strong association with the establishment of community life in the settlement that developed north of the city's Molonglo River in the years leading up to the relocation of Federal Parliament from Melbourne to Canberra in 1927. Together with nearby housing precincts, schools, shops and hostels, the oval evidences the services provided for the growing community in Canberra's north. A parallel centre was developed south of the river, at present-day Manuka.
The oval was enclosed by plantings in 1921 under the guidance of Charles Weston, then Canberra's Horticultural Superintendent of Parks, Gardens and Afforestation. Some of the original trees survive. A similar landscape treatment also survives at Manuka Oval.
Northbourne Oval was officially opened on 2nd October 1925 and has been used primarily as a venue for cricket, Rugby League, Australian Rules football and Rugby Union ever since. Assisted by Queanbeyan historian Brendan O'Keefe, we undertook the assessment of significance for the Canberra Districts Rugby League Football Club.
[ upper photo: c.1951, ACT Heritage Library ]
[ lower photo: late 1920s, courtesy the Carnall family ]
for complete news archive, see LIBRARY
ORMOND COLLEGE GABLES PROJECT
RICH HISTORY ON A CORNER IN FITZROY
A BEACON OF REFURBISHMENT
December 2012 / January 2013
BUILDING AND SELLING AUSTRALIA'S EARLY BEST-SELLING CAR
STATION PIER WALKWAY
PROGRESS AT NORMAN LODGE
CONRAD HAMANN ON ROBIN BOYD
RARE SURVIVOR FROM MELBOURNE'S HYDRAULIC POWER SYSTEM
THERMOGRAPHIC IMAGING OF STATE LIBRARY
PHOTOVOLTAICS AT WERRIBEE MANSION
HAMANN IS MOST PEOPLE'S CUP OF TEA
TECHNICAL FOCUS : MELBOURNE GPO — LEADWORK ON A GRAND SCALE
WRAPPING MELBOURNE GPO
ORMOND COLLEGE GABLES PROJECT
MICHAEL TUCK STAND PRESERVATION WORKS
SCOTS CHURCH PRECINCT
PROGRESS AT GOODS SHED SOUTH
RESEARCH UNCOVERS HUMBLE HOME OF PM
HEALESVILLE HERITAGE STUDY
FLINDERS STREET STATION DESIGN COMPETITION
ASSOCIATE WINS PLACE IN INTERNATIONAL HERITAGE CONSERVATION WORKSHOP
AIA AWARD WIN
THE GREAT MELBOURNE TELESCOPE
MANUKA CIRCLE PRECINCT CMP
PRINCES PARK CONSERVATION ANALYSIS
RECENT PROJECT APPOINTMENTS