Conservation works are progressing at the remarkable bluestone Wesley Uniting Church in central Melbourne — as part of the wider Wesley Place project. We are working on an extensive external programme, including roof works, plus internal painting to plasterwork.
New images shot by Peter Glenane, show the beautiful details of the Gothic Revival structure, designed by Joseph Reed (1823-1890) and completed in 1858.
The conservation works include stonework repairs and repointing, pinnacle replacement, render repairs, repair of pressed cement balustrades, stained glass window cleaning and protection, minor joinery repairs, roof works (slate replacement), and new rainwater goods — lead and copper valleys, internal gutters, eaves gutters and cast iron/copper downpipes. The spire of the church is thought to be the earliest in Victoria. It was stripped of its ornaments in the 1950s or 60s when copper cladding was added.
The Wesley Church and Central Mission is the oldest intact church complex in the state. The church, manse (1859), school house (1859) and caretakers cottage (1914) are all the subject of conservation and adaptation works funded by the development project.
[ photos: Peter Glenane ]