The former Teacher Training College (the 1888 Building) was progressively restored and adapted to house the University of Melbourne’s School of Graduate Studies. The fabric of the old residential building was extensively refurbished, new building and IT services introduced and dining and bar facilities provided.
A new extension, set in an internal courtyard, was designed, accommodating seminar rooms and a student café. Located on the internal side of the site, the contemporary jewel-box-like extension balances the tradition of the old and provides a clear and tangible link between the School and the rest of the campus.
RAIA (Victoria) Architecture Award 1996 : Conservation category : commendation
Share this page