The original construction of Rippon Lea began in 1868 for politician and merchant Frederick Sargood, to the design of Reed and Barnes. It was later much extended. In the mid 1960s, the roofing was replaced with glazed Marseilles tiles, which in turn needed replacement. New shingles were imported from the UK and replacement ridge cappings made in Melbourne based on surviving examples. Insulation has been laid in the roof, and a 4.5kW bank of integrated solar panels has been installed on an hidden exterior slope. This now powers most of the estate.
We also investigated the 19th century rainwater collection system that once fed the lake in the grounds, which stores water for irrigation. The system is still in place but was not in use for access safety reasons. A new system has been installed in parallel and the original one is now part operational, saving the National Trust on water costs.
AIA (Victoria) Architecture Award 2014 : Heritage category : commendation
Share this page