The ANZ Gothic Bank is one of Melbourne’s best-loved buildings. It was designed by William Wilkinson Wardell (1823-1899), architect of the Catholic cathedrals of Melbourne and Sydney. He is one focus of a forthcoming international symposium on the patronage of Melbourne’s first Catholic bishop, James Alipius Goold (1812-1886). The remarkable building is the subject of a paper to be presented by Lovell Chen founding principal Peter Lovell, exploring its creation and conservation.
[ photo: Martin Saunders ]
The symposium is organised by the Australian Institute of Art History within the School of Culture and Communcation at the University of Melbourne, in partnership with the University of Divinity. Session topics include Bishop Goold’s collection of Baroque paintings, his library and the impact his patronage of Wardell had on Melbourne’s built environment.
The present ANZ Bank building at 376-392 Collins Street is a 1920s amalgamation of Wardell’s Gothic Bank (completed May 1887), and the former Stock Exchange and the Safe Deposit buildings, both by William Pitt. We worked on the detailed conservation of the complex over a four year period starting in 1989, undertaking painstaking research.
Peter’s paper looks at the design sources, the artisan and artistic inputs and the relationship between client and architect for the Gothic Bank, as well as detailing more recent restoration works.
The ANZ Gothic Bank: its creation and rediscovery
Friday 16th February 2018, 11:45 – 12:30pm
Elisabeth Murdoch Theatre, The University of Melbourne, Swanston Street, Carlton
Presented as part of the international symposium:
A Baroque Bishop in Colonial Australia: The Cultural Patronage of Bishop James Goold (1812-1886)