The three restored buildings in Wellington Street are the former Bairds Building (c.1905), the Globe Hotel (1882-3) and the Wellington Building (1910). The façade belonged to the Mitchell Building — a two-storey commercial structure completed in 1913, which was dismantled and stored during construction of the MetroRail station beneath William Street.
Restoration works included the conservation and repair of masonry, the refurbishment and reinstatement of window joinery, and the installation of new shop fronts based on photographic and physical evidence. Also based on such evidence, two lattice truss-supported canopies have been reinstated and a two-storey verandah with cast iron decorative panels reconstructed.
One40william sucessfully demonstrates the potential of retaining historic fabric within a much larger contemporary scheme, adding to a sense of place and enabling a diverse range of retail and office accommodation.
Western Australian Heritage Award 2014 : The Gerry Gauntlett Award : excellence in adaptive reuse
Share this page