In an unusual commission, we partnered mechanical engineer Rohan Lamb in the preparation of a conservation management plan for the engine. The three-speed, fully-sprung, class B6 compound road locomotive was manufactured by John Fowler & Co (Leeds) Ltd and shipped from England to Canberra in 1925.
Road Locomotive No. 16161 was one of only two steam traction engines commissioned by the government for the haulage necessary for the construction of the new capital’s infrastructure. Other steam traction engines in the government fleet were purchased second hand.
The plan is to return the engine to Canberra for public display, and for it to be run at special events. Our input into the CMP included an assessment of the engine’s cultural heritage significance and policies for its conservation, as well as guidance on suitable display locations, storage and maintenance.
Share this page