Architecture at the MCG: A History focuses on the story of key grandstand buildings, providing an architectural narrative to complement the many published accounts of the ground’s history from social, sporting, political and cultural perspectives. The significant structures at the ground include the 1928 Members Pavilion, 1956 Northern Stand, 1968 Western Stand and 1992 Great Southern Stand.
The study includes a selected history of events that have shaped the physical form of the MCG, including the shape of the oval and its gradual enclosure. A detailed architectural and engineering account is provided for each of the main buildings, plus a pictorial chronology. Other sections include a brief analysis of stadium typology, information about the relevant architects and engineers, and a bibliography.
Other related projects include a conservation management plan for the MCG, a heritage study for Melbourne and Olympic parks, a heritage impact statement for Yarra Park’s new water recycling facility and a heritage management plan for Yarra Park.
Share this page