The CMP was commissioned in order to inform the master plan carried out by McGauran Giannini Soon Architects. It develops policies for the conservation and management of significant fabric on the riverside site, and provides a framework for the adaptive reuse of the complex and its elements.
The paper mill was established in 1918, opening officially in August 1921. Buildings were added in the 1920s and 30s, and further expansion took place in the second half of the 20th century in response to an increased demand for paper. New facilities included machine rooms, waste paper plant and an upgraded water supply.
The coal-fired boiler house was constructed c.1954 as part of this expansion programme, which required more power generation. It was designed by Mussen, McKay and Potter and is one of the earliest-known examples of curtain walling in Melbourne.
Share this page