At Werribee, four large hangars dating from 1942 remain. They are distinguished by their unusual structural design, which includes green timber members with bolted fixing plates in the roof trusses. The cladding is corrugated asbestos cement sheeting, which poses a major conservation problem both from a hazardous materials perspective and as a result of the loading conditions of the trusses.
The hangars at Fishermans Bend were constructed in the early 1940s as part of the development of the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation’s aeronautical manufacturing complex. One, a Butler hangar, was manufactured in the US and the other three, which are Bellman hangars, were built in Australia to a British design. The Butler hangar has been added to the Victorian Heritage Register. The registration allows for the dismantling of the building and relocation to an alternative site.
Share this page